Saturday, July 11, 2015

And then there was one

Cycling is a semi-social sport.  You constantly have conversations, which are broken up by cars, hills and stretches where you ride alone.  But today was different, as mark and I headed in opposite directions. So left on my own, here are some random thoughts as I rode the mostly unattractive roads to the Halifax airport.

- you are more likely to see the following outside your average Nova Scotians home: a Canadian flag, a clothesline that is in use, their names (first and last) on the mailbox
- GPS is a randomly effective technology.  Garmin wanted to route me 50 miles out of my way because of a fire gate (and a bad dirt road), while Google thinks nothing of sending me up a 500' hill to save half a mile. But it does find some good back roads.  And yesterday, it correctly told us we had to go an extra 37 miles because there is no bridge over the Avon river.
- I was sad to learn that after the British kicked the French out of Acadia (and renamed it Nova Scotia) in the 1700s, they exiled all the acadians out, who then went to New England and Louisiana amongst other places.  Not sure I remember learning  it like that.
- 160 billion tons of water flows in and out of the bay of Fundy twice daily.  Enough to fill the grand canyon, more than all the river flows in the whole world. Can't we figure out how to get some tidal energy from this predictable event?
- was fun to spend 2 weeks with my Canadian friend in Canada (plus a week skiing this year).  Nothing bad to say about  Jonathan, Jenn or Donna but Canadians love being home. Thanks for waiting for me as I dragged the surly up all those hills Mark! Where we going next year - St Lawrence river from headwaters to Atlantic ocean?  California?  Europe?
- it wouldn't have been possible without the Halifax airport, so it gets some recognition here.
66.8 miles, most of which I'll be doing again tomorrow



Two posts are in order today. Here is Mark's:

The day is sunny, hazy, and warm. Mark rides through the farmland of the Annapolis Valley, avoiding busy Rt.1 and taking RT. 221 to Middleton and then 201 from Middleton. A pleasant ride, with open farm views much of the way. Hillier than expected on RT. 201. A nice stop at an old one-room schoolhouse turned into a small museum, also serving home-made ice cream. Arriving in Annapolis Royal, which seems the unofficial capital of the Anapolis Valley. I was here nearly thirty years ago with Jenn on a winter weekend getaway from Halifax. The Bread & Roses Inn, where I think we stayed (I'm cheaper now than I was then!) is still there and looks great. There are beautiful views to the river. Satisfying Jon's curiosity, there is a tidal power plant here, apparently the only one in North America. We are curious to find out more.

A sunny, hot, moderately hilly 75 miles from Wolfville to Annapolis Royal. 

1 comment:

  1. My ride to the Halifax Airport was more scenic... a different route I think you told me. Still some hills though! I like your random thoughts as you rode along... I noticed those clotheslines too and wondered about putting one up back home. Grand plans that will likely not come to fruition. And Mark, you're not THAT cheap, honey. You were just trying to "woo" me back then. Sign me up for next year's biking adventure!

    ReplyDelete